This is a dirty, tedious job………cleaning, wire brushing, and assessing axle tubes.
Axles parts fresh out of the parts washer…….and there’s the ubiquitous blue paint…….even a steam cleaning can’t get rid of it!
Fresh and clean in the parts washer , but still a long way to go from here.
An example of a poor previous repair. Lots of brazing rod was used here to repair a hole…….not salvageable in my opinion so I’ll cut the whole cover off and weld on a new one.
Off it comes……….these cut off pretty easily, just use a cut off wheel in an angle grinder.
Nice quality replacement courtesy of Rovers North.
The axle housing ground flat and ready for its new cover.
I’ve been using these flap wheels for years, this is what I used to grind down the old weld on the axle housing. These things get rid of material fast, so if you’re still using the old solid grinding wheels, toss them in the trash and get yourself a few of these………you can thank me later!
New cover welded up…..I made two passes all the way around to make sure there are no leaks!
Axle tubes primed and ready to head to Autobahn for paint, along with hubs, swivel housings, drive members, backing plates, etc.
Boom!! The freshly rebuilt engine back from Vermont Engine Service………bored .03 over, 8:1 head, satellite valve seats, new clutch/pressure plate, ceramic coated intake/exhaust……just like new!
Another huge box checked……the Series 2 109 frame sand blasted, steam cleaned, and powder coated!! Thanks to Adam and his crew at Finish Solutions in Colchester, Vermont for the beautiful work!
The freshly powder coated frame back in the shop. I just have to reassemble the axles and I’ll have a roller soon.